Friday, October 8, 2010

Murfreesboro Art Community According to Paige Ridley

Art has been hailed as a cultural thermometer of location. The presence, the prolifery, exposure, and buying of art has much to say about a community's concern with humanitarianism, investment of care and awareness of one another through adversity. As a new kid in town, I had to look high and low, long and hard, not only to find the presence of art in Murfreesboro but along with it, the presence of like minds, true friends, and cultural acceptance. I would meet the occasional MTSU art major with excitement, offering some shared time and use of the extra room in my newly occupied house that I use as a studio... only to be denied again and again. It seems that when approached, the students were offended to think they weren't the only one whose "thing" was art, particularly printmaking. I was responded to with snickers. Because who am I, after all, to think I can hang out with them? Well I'm already an art school graduate, that's who. I became the one who was offended. How could these kids really believe they could have lives as artists if each of them are so protective of that individual identity? Not just art, but ideas and visions for change for the betterment of one and all cannot come to fruition without the support and inspiration of others. I already knew this having just come out of Savannah, Georgia, where the art school readily provided a community through which wonderful things could happen for the individual because of the group. I felt mistaken and foolish to believe it could be like that in other places such as Murfreesboro.

I took initiative to find those interested in the arts and all the hope-filled abstract ideas that accompany it by offering classes at our local Hobby Lobby. It didn't turn out very well. The one worthwhile proposition I gained through my class advertisement was an invitation to an "art party" with the founding members of Art Life. I showed up, more timid than my usual self from the months of wandering alone searching for any fulfillment in town, clutching a toolbox of supplies and some T-shirts on which I had been experimenting with relief print. I was welcomed with enthusiasm and curiosity not just about myself but my craft. Immediately techniques, ideas and goals were being shared though a palpable, loving vibration.

Through this group of young and passionate people fighting through the tough times we are all facing with vigorous, imaginative vision, I have found art and thus hope does indeed exist in Murfreesboro. This shouldn't have to be dug for like gold. I have joined Art Life with the resolve that the same art and hope I have found can be shared with the rest of our city's population. In trying economic times art and all its ideas seems to suffer most. People cannot help but worry about themselves and pinch pennies, tightly bound by the necessities of shelter and utilities. Even if the art cannot be bought, it should yet be seen. Art Life is showing it to you. If you can't buy from us at least look at us. Art Life is here to raise the mercury in the aforementioned cultural thermometer of Middle Tennessee, if even a smidge, to lift our neighbors out of these cold times, at the very least in their hearts and minds. Come out to one of our fundraising events the last Saturday of each month and take a break from the trying doldrums of our local and national suffering economic reality... and step into our reality in which the "real world" exists in a colorful, whimsical, fantastical, raw and powerful, yet ever charming, translation of our present existence in all its pleasures and trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment